Aboriginal Focus Group
The BHNCDSB supports the Ministry of Education’s focus on Aboriginal students. With this focus BHNCDSB is committed to work with our Aboriginal partners to support our Aboriginal students. One of the strategies identified in the Ministry of Education document; Ontario First Nation, Métis and Inuit Education Policy Framework is that school boards work in collaboration with Aboriginal communities and organizations, parents, and students to integrate this Policy Framework into school board planning.
The BHNCDSB will be forming its Aboriginal Focus Group in June 2013. This group consists of elementary and secondary principals, teachers, support staff, a superintendent and representation from First Nations, Métis and Inuit communities.
Purpose of the Focus Group
- To bring awareness among teachers and school support staff of the particular learning styles of Aboriginal students and Aboriginal cultures, histories and perspectives.
- To improve achievement among Aboriginal students, close the gap between Aboriginal students and non-Aboriginal students in the areas of literacy and numeracy, retention/graduation rates and advancement to post secondary education.
- Provide support for school staff to acquire knowledge of Aboriginal student learning profiles, and to realign programs and teaching styles to support Aboriginal student learning.
- Focus on the school culture – it is essential that Aboriginal students are engaged and feel welcome in school and that they see themselves and their culture in the curriculum and the school community.
- Provide in-service to schools on the Ontario First Nation, Métis and Inuit Education Policy framework as a guide.